What We Fund
What We Do Fund
We aim to increase opportunities for health and wellbeing through strategic investments in the people and communities of Spartanburg County. Specifically, the Foundation is interested in funding projects that will reduce health disparities.
The Foundation is interested in funding projects and organizations that will reduce health disparities.
- General Operating Support – to cover day-to-day activities and ongoing expenses.
- Programs & Services – activities directly targeting individuals to achieve specific results.
- Policies & Places – activities to change or modify policies or to create new or improved places that increase opportunities for the residents of Spartanburg County.
- Planning & Capacity Building – to plan for or study future projects or to implement efforts that improve the capacity of the organization to achieve results.
The Foundation does provide multi-year funding depending on the specific grant request. We encourage you to reach out to the Foundation for guidance on available grant funding.
The Mary Black Foundation has very limited funds to sponsor events. Read our Sponsorship Guidelines.
What We Don't Fund
Though we’d love to help everyone, the Mary Black Foundation generally does not fund:
- Activities that are discriminatory or organizations engaged in discriminatory practices, including, but not limited to, written or informal policies and procedures regarding staff and/or volunteer requirements, program content, or participant eligibility that are discriminatory.
- Direct grants or scholarships (including tuition assistance) for individuals;
- Grants that further political or religious activities;
- Medical, scientific, or academic research;
- Vans or buses used to transport people;
- Activities and/or programs that duplicate efforts that are, have been, or should be offered at local hospitals;
- Activities, projects, or programs that will have been completed before funding becomes available;
- Endowments or other reserve funds or the payment of debt;
- Fundraising events, celebrations, or dinners; or
- Individual schools unless the project is district or county-wide and is supported by the superintendent(s).