Located in the lower level of the Mary Black Foundation building, the Conference Center is designed to accommodate meetings by nonprofit organizations in Spartanburg County.
The Conference Center consists of a large meeting room that comfortably seats 45 people and has a state-of-the-art audio-visual system, podium and stage, kitchen, and movable round and rectangle tables. The large meeting room is perfect for socially distanced meetings and/or hybrid gatherings. In addition, to the Conference Center, we have an outdoor meeting space under a pavilion set in a beautifully landscaped courtyard. To reserve the space contact Ureka Wright (email@example.com) at 864-573-9500.
The facilities are free when reserved during the Foundation’s regular business hours (8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday, except for holidays observed by the Foundation). All scheduled meetings must end by 4:30pm to allow for cleanup and to ensure all of your guests are out of the facility by 5:00pm. Reservations for times before or after business hours, on the weekends, or during holidays will be charged an hourly fee to cover off-hours security. Reservations during off hours must be a minimum of 4 hours. The fee is due to Mary Black Foundation five business days prior to the meeting. Cancellation of meetings that require off-hours security must be made 48 hours prior to the meeting time or the fee is non-refundable.
Users of the Conference Center must comply with the Foundation’s policies and procedures, which may be accessed through the link to the Conference Center Application below.
Please note that, due to parking restrictions, the Foundation must limit the number of people in attendance at events scheduled in the Conference Center to no more than 45. Please use the parking lot located on Kennedy Street between the Piedmont Club and the Episcopal Church of the Advent. Coming from Pine Street, turn right on Kennedy. Once you pass the Piedmont Club, turn right. You’ll see the MBF Conference Parking lot. If coming from Church Street, turn left on Kennedy. You’ll see the MBF Conference Parking lot. View parking map for more details.
Complete the conference center application and upload the completed policies agreement.
Mary Black Foundation Conference Center and Plaza Policies
It is the user’s responsibility to read and understand these policies.
Use of Conference Center:
- Organizations exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and governmental entities will be granted permission to use the Conference Center rooms or the Plaza (collectively, the “Facilities”) on a first-come, first-served basis, provided they have completed the application process and had their reservation confirmed by the Foundation. Notwithstanding any provision herein to the contrary, the Foundation reserves the right to decline, accept, or condition applications for use of the Facilities in its sole and absolute discretion.
- For-profit businesses or individuals conducting business may not use Foundation Facilities.
- The Facilities may not be used for the following: any religious worship, celebratory services, or any other religious activities; partisan political campaigns or activities; promotion of specific candidates for political office; personal social activities; and/or fundraising events.
- Users of the Facilities may charge for registration or materials used in the program or allow membership fees to be collected. Money may not be collected for any other purpose. Sale of services or goods on site is prohibited unless approved in advance by the Foundation.
- Users of the Facilities may not use the Foundation as a mailing address. Publicity announcing the meetings must state, “This program is sponsored by [name of user organization].” The Foundation will not take registrations for non-Foundation sponsored or co-sponsored events.
- Ongoing use of the Facilities may only be booked up to 3 months in advance. Reservations for single events or meetings may not be made more than 12 months in advance.
- The Foundation reserves the right to move a meeting from a reserved room to another suitable location within the Foundation, if needed.
- The Foundation expects Facility users to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner.
Use of Plaza:
- There is a ceiling fan located in the plaza. If you would like this fan turned on, please notify staff prior to your meeting.
- The Foundation’s office building is a multi-tenant building with limited adjacent parking. Therefore, please communicate with attendees that they MUST use the parking lot located on Kennedy Street between The Piedmont Club and the Episcopal Church of the Advent. Failure to adhere to this policy may inhibit your ability to use this space in the future. Please see parking map on page 4 with parking spaces designated in red.
- The Assembly Room is the only meeting room in the Facilities with dedicated technology. The Assembly Room is equipped with wireless Internet access, a Windows PC, a 16:9 format projector/screen, audio, and a wireless presentation clicker. The Windows PC has Word, Excel and PowerPoint version 2016. Facility users MUST bring a USB flash drive for use with the MBF USB port available to copy files to Windows PC.
- Only dry erase markers are to be used on white boards in Assembly Room. Damage to the white boards due to failure to do so will result in facility user being charged with a replacement fee.
- Prior to beginning your meeting, see MBF staff to “check-out” any accessories needed to operate equipment, and return all “checked-out” items after the meeting has ended.
- Facility users are responsible for damage, loss, or theft of audio visual equipment. If any of the equipment is broken or missing after your event, you may be assessed a replacement fee.
Food & Drink:
- Food & drink, but no alcoholic beverages, may be served. A coffee maker is available, as well as filters. Users are responsible for providing everything else (i.e. sugar, creamer, stirrers, cups, coffee). An icemaker is also available.
Care of the Facilities:
- Facility users, not Foundation staff, are responsible for the setup of meeting rooms. Rectangular tables are available. Please notify Foundation staff if you need access to the storage room for additional tables and chairs. Please do not remove tables or chairs from rooms that you have not reserved.
- Facility users are responsible for removing all meeting materials and leaving the Facilities orderly. No materials or equipment may be stored in the Facilities before or between meetings without the Foundation’s prior approval.
- Facility users should not put anything on the walls without the Foundation’s prior approval. Please reach out to Ureka Wright for a list of approved adhesive materials.
- Please make note that the Foundation recycles. Ask meeting participants to dispose recyclable materials in the appropriate bins, located in the lower level Conference Center.
- If your meeting ends at 5:00pm or later, you will be responsible for turning off the AV equipment and all lights. Before you leave, be sure you have all of your belongings as reentry is not available after the doors lock at 5:30pm.
- The Foundation will provide cleaning services; however, we ask you to pour liquids into the sink, put all trash in the trash can, and place all recyclable materials in the recycling bin. A cleaning fee may be charged if the Facilities require cleaning that exceeds the Foundation’s usual cleaning service
- The person(s) or organization(s) conducting the meetings accept full responsibility for proper conduct of those attending the meeting and for any damage to Foundation property by those attending.
- When the Facilities are to be used by groups or organizations of young people (under age 18), an adult sponsor must make the reservation, and at least two adults must be present at, and responsible for, the entire meeting.
- Organizations or individuals using the Facilities shall indemnify and hold harmless the Foundation and its trustees and staff from any and all claims or actions attributable to the use of the Facilities. Depending on the proposed use, the sponsors may be required to provide a certificate of insurance naming the Foundation and its trustees and staff as additional insureds.
By applying to rent the Conference Center you acknowledge that you are at least eighteen years of age or older, have read the Conference Center and Plaza Policies, and agree to comply therewith. You agree to be responsible to the Mary Black Foundation for the use and care of Foundation property and facilities.