“In 1986, the MLK Unity Week Celebration started with just a group of people gathered around the flagpole outside of City Hall to reflect on the words and purpose of Dr. King’s life. From the seeds sown there, Spartanburg’s annual celebration has grown to include an annual gathering attended by thousands each year.” –City of Spartanburg
Martin Luther King Day is January 21, 2019.
Martin Luther King Jr. Unity Week Events
- Thursday, January 17, 2019
- Mayor’s Unity Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the Spartanburg Marriott Hotel
- Friday, January 18, 2019
- Movie Night- “King in the Wilderness” at 6:00 p.m. at the Spartanburg Headquarters Library
- Saturday, January 19, 2019
- Walk As One at 9:00 am at the Spartanburg Headquarters Library
- Monday, January 21, 2019
- MLK Day kickoff celebration at 8:30 a.m. at USC Upstate with Speaking Down Barriers leading a workshop.
- Unity Celebration at 6:30 p.m. at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium
Every year, people across the United States come together on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a day of national service and dialogue to honor the memory of Dr. King. Everyone is invited to join the community as we serve across Spartanburg, Cherokee and Union counties and engage in activities to reflect on Dr. King’s legacy. To learn more about service opportunities happening visit the United Way’s Day of Service calendar.
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenges and controversy”- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.