What (and Why) You Need to Know About Hello Family
Hello Family just wrapped up its first year after the official launch in January of 2022. Hello Family is an information and resource hub for families with children (or expecting). Their umbrella of resources includes medical care for mothers (pregnancy and postpartum) and children, childcare resources, parenting help, and more.
A Look Back at 2022
Hello Family focuses on improving “outcomes for young children and their families by providing services and resources for all children born in the city of Spartanburg” (specifically prenatal through age 5). Hello Family funding supports four family-focused organizations and their 2022 stats are nothing short of impressive!
Birth Matters – doula services for prenatal and postpartum care and support
- 57 mothers were served, and 28 babies were born within city zip codes
- Over 82% of babies were born at a healthy weight and were breastfed at birth
- Over 85% of births did not result in a NICU admission
Quality Counts – star rating system of childcare centers for parents + coaching and support for childcare center employees
- 8 Hello Family centers within Quality Counts (caring for approximately 400 children)
- Teachers and assistants received hands-on coaching with Jessica Flowers in their classrooms throughout the year
Triple P – parenting support, tools, and resources
- 382 families received Triple P services
- Includes children within foster care as well as those transitioning in and out of foster care
Family Connects – RN home health checks for infants and postpartum mothers
- 334 participants enrolled (67.2% of eligible residents)
- 236 completed home visits (70.7% of program enrollees)
Hello Family Hotline
In addition to their work with these service providers, Hello Family offers a hotline.
Got kids? Got questions? Call or text (864) 606-9908.
There are no silly questions!
“Knowing there is quick access to help and resources locally is a comforting feeling as a mother.”
– Spartanburg Mom
Here’s an example of how the hotline helped one family this past year:
A family was unexpectedly (and quickly) relocated to Spartanburg for work. They were completely uprooted from their network of childcare, therapists, medical care, etc. for their child, who happens to be on the Autism Spectrum. One call to the Hello Family hotline led to numerous resources to help get their child set up with all of the care and services he/they needed. A one-stop-shop is really any parent’s best friend!
Connecting with Hello Family
- In 2022, Hello Family hosted 2 community baby showers.
- Hello Connect – a networking opportunity for families and service providers. Quarterly Hello Connect opportunities and events.
Follow Hello Family on Facebook and Instagram to stay in the loop about resources and upcoming events!
Spreading the Word
Are you a business owner/leader in Spartanburg?
Hello Family is not only helpful to families, it can help Spartanburg recruit, develop, and retain top talent. No other city in SC has this resource in place for families. It is a unique and enticing service to be able to offer interested or new employees with families who might be relocating to Spartanburg.
Do you work in the medical field?
As a medical professional, you most likely get numerous questions for referrals and services for children and families. Hello Family can help!
Reach out to have someone from the Hello Family team drop off resources directly to your office for employees or patients! firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello Family is a bold initiative that was envisioned by the City of Spartanburg, Mary Black Foundation, and other partners through our involvement in Spartanburg’s Way to Wellville. The goal is to radically improve early childhood outcomes and ensure that every child in the City of Spartanburg has the opportunity for success in school and in life.
While Hello Family itself is an innovative idea, the funding mechanism and level of partnership across sectors is what really motivated us at the Mary Black Foundation to provide a $1 million grant to help launch the initiative.